Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The Reason I Don't Look Forward to My Birthday

Most people don't look forward to their birthday because it's just another reminder that their annual, celebratory cakes are looking a little something like this. 


Although my age is escalating exponentially, or so it seems, the idea of getting old is just a drop in the bucket compared to the fact that for me, birthdays just aren't the same anymore. 

Exactly 28 years ago, my mom gave birth to her second son. A spit fire of a kid with uncontrollable energy, a mischievous grin, a contagious giggle, stubborn tenacity, and devious dexterity. He was loud, and fast, and bold. He never slowed down - even when he sliced his toe down to the bone trying to get some milk out of the fridge.

Exactly 2 years and one day later we started celebrating our birthdays together. Although my parents were always really great about giving each of us a spotlight on our respective days, the week was about us. Going out to dinner was about us. We both stood up to take a slice of cake at the Japanese steakhouse. If we didn't eat out, the cake read 'Happy Birthday Jeremy & Maggie.' The sign at the Mountain View Restaurant read, 'Happy Birthday Jeremy & Maggie.'


This is the second year that I will celebrate my birthday without you, and to be completely honest, it's much harder than the last. Getting older is very much overrated, but it was a little less overrated when you were here to celebrate too. My family still takes the time to do even little things that make my day incredibly amazing - and for that, I'm immensely grateful- but it's just not the same. 

It wasn't always easy celebrating our birthdays together. But now it's even harder celebrating without you.






So even though you aren't here to share the birthday spotlight or a slice of cake, I want you to know how much I miss you. Hope your birthday in Heaven is extra special.



No comments:

Post a Comment