Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Kitchen Sink Quiche


I've never attempted to make quiche before, but last night, I got a craving for something savory...with sausage...and bacon, so quiche it was. With the addition of some extra veggies, I felt like this was the ultimate western omelet, on steroids, with a flaky crust.

Can I get a amen!?

I'm delighted with how this recipe turned out. It was fluffy, full of flavor and the kids ate it right up. So, here ya go!

Ingredients
1 uncooked, prepared pie crust
8 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk or cream (I only had milk on hand)
8 slices of bacon (we use the turkey variety because it's cheaper) cooked & chopped
1 1/2 c. ground sausage (I did a mixture of 1/2 mild and 1/2 maple flavor)
spoonful of minced garlic
1 1/2 c. shredded cheese
veggies of choice (I used diced onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms)

Cook and crumble sausage on medium heat until ~1/2 way cooked. Add garlic and optional veggies and sauté until veggies are cooked.

While meat and veggies are cooking, thoroughly whip eggs and milk. Add salt and pepper along with the cheese. Mix in meats & veggies. Unfold pie crust into deep dish pan. Pour egg mixture into pie crust and loosely top with foil. Bake at 400 for ~1 hour covered, followed by ~10-15 minutes uncovered to brown the top. Adjust cooking time if necessary - our quiche was incredibly thick so it needed quite a bit of time to cook up completely in the center.

We actually ate ours for dinner, but this makes a great breakfast or brunch treat too. Enjoy!

 
 










No comments:

Post a Comment