Monday, February 23, 2015

Making Your Food Choices Go Further

I'm going to take a second here and be a little geriatric. There was a time in our lives that we didn't really have to think too much about our purchases. We didn't worry about expenses nearly as much, we ate out a lot, and I didn't think twice about making that unnecessary, but very fulfilling purchase of new shoes.

The economy, job changes, two kids - life happens, and perhaps now more than ever, we have to be very cognizant about our spending habits. Although it takes time and dedication, meal planning has truly saved us a ton of money when it comes to the grocery bill. In addition to making wiser choices about what we eat, I've developed some tips and tricks for making your food budget go a little further.

1. Keep it simple - Unfortunately, I was blessed with a very spontaneous and sporadic set of taste buds. I would not classify myself as a picky eater because I'll try and eat almost anything, but it's my current cravings and preferences that get in the way. Truth be told, I don't like to fix the same recipe twice. I like to make it different, change it up, be a rebel.

Part of minimizing our grocery bill includes the necessity for simple meals. A basic protein + veggie + starch kind of plate or even those quick fix skillet meals or single dish entrees. I typically meal plan for 2-week spans, and at least 3 of the meals within that list (of 14+ dinners) are usually something like frozen lasagna or skillet chicken teriyaki. Many of these other dishes include a more involved recipe for the protein portion along with canned or frozen veggies and a box of mac & cheese, quick fix mashed potatoes, or instant rice.

Basically, I focus my attention on the main dish aspect, and fill in the holes with side items that can be thrown in the microwave or a saucepan.

I have had to get over a lot of my persnickity preferences, but ultimately I have become more satisfied with simpler meals knowing they are saving us money.

2. Cut up the meat. I have also found that slicing and dicing our protein not only preserves portion control, but we waste less and save more. For example, instead of preparing 4 chicken breasts for our family, 2 large pieces that have been cut up are more than enough.

3. Add bulk to your meals with extra veggies and occasional grains. For example, a classic skillet meal with 2-3 servings can feed our family of 4 with leftovers when I add 1 extra bag of veggies and 1-2 servings of rice.

4. Meat isn't always a necessity.  I love my bacon, but the idea that every meal needs a meat is a misconception.  Every now and again I will fix a flavorful vegetarian meal, and I only get minimal complaints from my carnivorous husband. He gets over it and ultimately we save some money in the process.


I'm always trying to find new and creative ways to stretch our food budget. What are some ways that your family makes the most of a limited grocery budget? 



No comments:

Post a Comment