Saturday, February 28, 2015

doTERRA Essential Oils for Mental Health

It's no secret that the mental health system in our nation is lacking. Although most primary care physicians are willing and able to provide medications that will address a variety of chemical imbalances, there are a lot of folks who are reluctant to speak up about emotional ups and downs.

There are a lot of people who might go through seasonal lows, experience temporary periods of anxiety or mild depression, or simply get overwhelmed when life becomes exceedingly stressful. Just the daily grind itself can make you want to pull your hair out some days. Can I get a amen?

If that sounds anything like you, doTERRA essential oils may be the perfect solution to your mild emotional instabilities.

**Let me just stop right here - before I go any further - and clarify one very important point: if you are experiencing recurrent, regular, unchanging symptoms of severe depression, please seek help from a licensed medical professional. Mental disorders are most often classified by a chemical or hormonal imbalance in the brain - a biological dysfunction that may only be helped with prescription intervention.**

From my own personal experience taking a prescribed serotonin reuptake inhibitor shortly following the birth of my second child, a couple of months taking a daily pill was enough to get me back to my normal self again. I was so glad to stop taking that medicine, but I'm a mom. I'm human, and some days still just get the best of me. This is why I am so grateful to have found doTERRA essential oils.

There are a variety of blends and single oils that are great for treating mood swings, disparity, lack of motivation, insomnia, anxiety, restlessness, stress and the list goes on. Here are some of my favorite EOs and how they are most often used to address common mental health concerns.

The Mood Matrix is a great tool to figure out which exclusive doTERRA oil blend is going to be most effective for your current emotional state.


Serenity has a smooth, soft, sweet aroma with notes of lavender and sandalwood. It is great for diffusing at night to promote relaxation and sleep.

Citrus Bliss is a combination of the citrus oils with a touch of vanilla. It is very reminiscent of a creamsicle.

Balance is a sweet, earthy aroma with hints that remind me of luscious trees perfectly paired with a salty sea breeze. It is the perfect blend for reducing stress and promoting relaxation.

Elevation is also a floral and citrus based blend that promotes rejuvenation. It reminds me of the first warm spring days following a harsh winter. It is a very uplifting blend that is both refreshing and joyful.


Vetiver has a very woodsy scent. It is earthy and pure. One of my friends described this oil with the following:

'Whenever I feel like I'm going to yell a my kids, I put on some vetiver to calm me down.' Truth.


For me personally, I feel that the citrus oils (lemon, wild orange, bergamot, grapefruit etc.) are great for an uplifting boost. I prefer to diffuse these oils in the morning for an instant pick-me-up.


I prefer the soft, earthy scents toward the end of the day when I need to regroup, unwind, and relax from a busy day. Lavender, cedar wood, sandalwood, Roman chamomile are just a few.

Another source of emotional ups and downs for a lot of women is their menstrual cycle. Although this is another topic entirely, I do believe that addressing your cyclic swings and sexual health is a key component for overall mental health. doTERRA's Clary Calm rollerball blend is excellent for addressing hormone fluctuations, mood swings, PMS symptoms, menopause and more.


I wasn't a huge fan of the sexual side effects that occurred from the prescription medication I took shortly after having Simon. Once I got my hormones back under control, I have found that these oils help to keep me in check. They ease my frazzledness, calm my stress, and help me to relax when I'm wound up.

If you have days like my momma said...like my momma said, check out these great blends and single oils from doTERRA. They just might change your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment