Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Soul Food Inspired Dinner - Salmon Cakes, Grits, Green Beans, Gravy

Our church is smack dab in the middle of a series titled 'Soul Food' and each week we're exposed to this deliciously funny video clip that features fried chicken, mashed potatoes, fried okra, and a schmorgesborg of my favorite comfort foods.

As if my stomach wasn't gnawing on my backbone enough, this clip makes me drool.


So, I decided to channel my inner Southern self - which wasn't very hard - to make a quick and easy dinner for our family with lots of classic flavors.

One of my grandmother's most acclaimed dishes included her pan-fried salmon cakes, and although I don't make them exactly like she did, I still think they're pretty tasty. I made 'em up with a little something like this:

- 2 cans of salmon, drained and de-boned

- 2 eggs

- ~1/2 onion finely diced

- hefty sprinkle of yellow cornmeal - no more than 1/4 c. or they'll get dry

- dash of salt and pepper

- a little bigger dash of Old Bay seasoning

- small spoonful of minced garlic

- a quick spritz of lemon juice  (~1 tablespoon)


Mash them up with a fork or your hands - keep in mind that you can always add ingredients as needed to reach your desired consistency. Shape into patties. Pan fry until golden brown. I coated my pan with a mixture of coconut and almond oils before cooking.




I fixed up some delicious dinner grits and green beans as sides. House-autry makes a variety of dinner grit flavors, but the broccoli version was the only one we had on hand. Honestly, I didn't think it had a very distinctive 'broccoli' flavor, but there are other options like plain cheddar, parmesan and herb, or creole that are all equally yummy.






Salmon cakes at our house have always been served with ketchup, but I decided to mix it up a bit and garnished my plate with a rather large spoonful of white gravy. The Pioneer brand makes ~2 cups and is just enough for our family. (It's great with biscuits for breakfast too, by the way)








This was the finished product, y'all, and it tasted even better in person. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment