Thursday, May 8, 2014

Wedding Spice

When my husband and I got married, I wanted to create a unique favor that guests would keep for a little while and be reminded of us. Since I'm a huge foodie, and my husband loves to eat, we decided that a personal spice blend would be great.



We've been married for 3.5 years, and we are down to our last few jars of this stuff. It makes me incredibly sad that I don't have a ready supply of this phenomenal blend, but I can, and certainly will, make more.

So here is what I did:

I bought the jars from a discount vendor online.

I purchased all the spices in bulk from our local Sam's Club.

I bought a large, solid laundry basket for the mixing process.

I used a scoop & a funnel to fill the jars and tied or adhered printed labels on the jars.

The favor table at our celebration included the following note:


If you can't read it:

We would like to say thanks for sharing our special day
So grab a jar when you head out on your way
It contains a little sweet and a whole lot of spice
Two of the things that make marriage nice.

Sprinkle some on your mean, French fries, or fish
And when you do send to us this wish
May your love continue to grow,
And your eagerness and passion never slow.

May your days be filled with happiness and love
and you constantly live your lives as one
And should you disagree or have a fight,
always remember to kiss goodnight.


So the ratio of spices is a little iffy because I pretty much just dumped stuff together until I was happy with the taste, BUT the two most prevalent ingredients include Cajun seasoning and brown sugar. I'd say those make up about half, but probably more brown sugar than cajun. The remainder is a combination of:

- dried onion flakes
- garlic powder
- seasoned salt


So if you really want to get it down to brass tacks, I would guesstimate that it goes a little something like this:

30-35% brown sugar
20-25% cajun seasoning
16% seasoned salt
16% garlic powder
18% onion flakes

This is really such a versatile spice. It goes great on pretty much everything, meat, veggies, starch, scrambled eggs, you name it. The only issue with this spice blend is the fact that the brown sugar can make it a little clumpy. I simply break up the clump with my hands whenever that happens.


 I'm so glad that we chose this favor for our wedding guests, and I'm so glad that we've had a bit of our special day incorporated into so many meals even years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment