Thursday, May 8, 2014

This is why I don't follow recipes.

If you choose to follow my blog, I will rarely post specific recipes with exact amounts. Why? I don't particularly like to follow the rules - this is what makes me a rebel chef.

I really like to find inspiration through recipes, but I prefer to do my own doctoring. I like to spice things up. I like to substitute. I like to make it my own.

Not only does this mentality allow me to express my creativity in the kitchen, but it makes me more confident and comfortable with the underlying science and flavor combinations of what I cook. It allows me to learn as I go.

Now, I know you recipe Nazis are appalled by this concept of thinking - how do I know if it's right? How much do I buy when I go to the grocery store? How can you ever recreate the dish if you don't know how much you used?

I estimate. Unless I'm baking - and then I follow the recipe because I'm just not skilled enough yet in the pastry department to be able to make the right substitutions that allow for my liquidy concoctions to somehow meld and form into a solid piece of baked goodness.

But when I'm preparing meals, I like when things aren't always the same. Eating the same thing over and over gets boring. So, to those of you who do not like the idea of using your own cooking and flavor judgements, this blog might not be for you.

But if you are a busy mom, or just a busy person in general, my ultimate goal is to provide recipes and complete MEAL instructions that allow you to prep & cook in the most efficient amount of time. Instead of flipping back and forth between several pages of your cook book, or frantically switching, clicking, and searching through your endless Pinterest recipes, I want to give you step-by-step suggestions for simultaneously cooking a main course + some coordinating sides in a way that saves you time and sanity.

I also want for moms to feel like they can substitute, estimate, and switch things up without feeling restricted to recipe rules. This is what makes cooking fun for me, so hopefully you'll agree!

xoxo,
Rebel Chef Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment