Thursday, May 8, 2014

Omelets, Omelets, We've Got Your Omelets

I am almost ashamed to admit that I really suck at making omelets, BUT I have a few tips and tricks to share with you about making these breakfast delights.

Most people think of omelets that look a little something like this:

eggbeaters.com
 
Personally, I prefer the messy omelet, or groundhog version, where everything is just mixed all together and thrown in the pan. They don't call me Rebel Chef Mom for nothing. For the sake of visual clarity, my omelets usually turn out something like this:

http://behealthybehappywellness.com

Regardless if you like the pretentious perfection of a beautifully flipped, perfectly folded, symmetric egg pocket of fillers, or simply toss everything in a pan and stir, here are some tips and ideas that I find helpful for this meal of breakfast perfection.

1. Add about 1/8th of a cup of milk and about 2 tablespoons of pancake mix or general purpose baking mix to your scrambled eggs before cooking. Whip with a fork or spatula for the ultimate fluff factor to your eggs. The mix powder helps the eggs to stick together and really make the art of flipping and folding much easier.

2. Keep the temperature down - low to low/medium heat is idea for cooking eggs. If you turn the burner on too hot, you'll brown your eggs.

3. My sister-in-law introduced me to the concept of Ziplock omelets, and although we don't do this often, I think it's a great idea for families that have different preferences on omelet ingredients, and especially at larger gatherings.
 
So, here's the catch. Apparently some super chemical conscious folks don't think that boiling plastic bags is very safe. I'm a Rebel Chef Mom, so honestly, I don't think twice, but just in case you have second thoughts about boiling, Ziplock company does have instructions for how to make a Ziplock omelet in the microwave. Personally, if I'm going to microwave eggs, I'll just pour them in a microwave safe dish, but whatever. The bags make it easy to clean up, and everyone can prep their omelet just the way they like it.

If you decide to boil your omelet bags, I suggest keeping an eye on your product. If the pot gets too hot, the top of the bags that are not submersed in the water can droop over and rest against the side of the pot. This could potentially melt your bag and cause your contents to seep out into the boiling water. Use tongs to keep the tops of the bags held upright until the omelets are completely cooked.

Especially for moms of picky eaters - I have successfully incorporated steamed cauliflower puree into scrambled eggs. The finished product is somewhat thinner in texture, but the cauliflower adds a buttery sweetness to the eggs which I personally think is really delicious. Check out Jessica Seinfield's book Deceptively Delicious if you want more ideas for how to sneak healthy veggies into popular foods that kids love.

No comments:

Post a Comment