Friday, May 15, 2015

Meatless Southwesthern Spaghetti Squash

So, I haven't blogged about food in a while because for the last three weeks I've really tried to make better choices when it comes to my diet. When that happens, I tend to simplify our meals with a protein and a few sides or when in doubt, I just fix a salad.

That leaves for a very boring and lonely blog.

Until now.

I created a delicious lunch the other day and I was astounded at the amount I could eat, for relatively few calories. So here is what I did:

1 c. cooked spaghetti squash (I cook mine by slicing squash in half, scooping out the seeds, and microwaving in a water bath for 7-8 minutes, or until soft. Use a fork to scrape out the squash. Super simple!)
1 tsp. taco seasoning
3/4 tsp. cilantro paste
1/4 c. frozen peppers/onions
just less than 1/4 c. frozen chopped spinach
just less than 1/4 c. frozen chopped kale
1/4 c. canned corn
handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced
1/2 avocado, chunked
2 tbsp. corn/black bean salsa
1/4 c. fat free, plain Greek yogurt (as a substitute for sour cream)

Toss the first 7 ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer for about 10 minutes until frozen veggies are cooked. Top with remaining ingredients.



It was so easy it almost hurts and wait for it, this entire plate full of yummyness was only 208 calories (give or take because I estimated on certain ingredients, but still.) It was SO filling.

Do yourself a favor and make this - even if you aren't on a diet, you could toss in some meat of your choice and make it super hearty. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment